- Belts and spatulas: a story of spanking, fear, failure and redemption
- Why we left Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa
- Good Christian girls don't talk about sex. We just obsess about it.
- Who is Elizabeth Esther?
- A Handy Guide For Dealing With Manipulative People
- Purity Culture vs. Purity Ethic
- Lazy! Flighty! Slobby! Commitment-phobe! (Understanding your ENFP "dark side" and becoming a well-rounded, mature ENFP)
- I was spanked as a child and I turned out ok. Didn't I?
- Virginity: New & Improved!
Monthly Archives: September 2009
OK, my lovely readers, it's almost time to share! Start sorting through your September posts and then join me this Saturday, October 3rd to share your favorite post with all of us! If you're joining us for the first time, … Continue reading
Yesterday I was folding laundry while watching my boys play kickball with some neighborhood kids. From where I stood I could also see Jewel playing with the twins in the backyard. I know it might sound silly, but I was … Continue reading
A reader posted the following comment to my "Don't trust your desperately wicked heart" post and I thought it poignantly described the difficulty some of us ex-fundamentalists find ourselves in. With her permission (thanks, Jen W.) I hoped to answer … Continue reading
OK, so I won't whine for 1,ooo words about my broken toe because I already did that on Twitter, natch. Instead, I will share the glorious epiphanies that have resulted. 1. Always mop up puddles of water on the kitchen … Continue reading
I had an amazing conversation with another woman who is recovering from our shared fundamentalist background. One of the similarities we discussed was how we repressed our gut instincts. After learning to repress our gut instincts for years and years, … Continue reading
I let myself fall back into a bad habit this past week. I needed to be right. I could feel it surge up my spine and crash into my brain with all the force of a speeding train. It tasted … Continue reading
1. a few moments to read my Bible(s) and to journal 2. dew-drenched grass beneath my bare feet 4. a treasury of gently-used children's books from a neighbor–perfect for reading in bed with little ones all tucked in around me … Continue reading
"Mommy, I'm scared," the little voice quavers, tears welling in big, brown eyes. "A boy in my class told me a story about a monster. He said it was real!" I lead him back to bed, tuck myself in next … Continue reading
If the Miracle Whip commercials are true, mayonnaise can get you in touch with your wild side. Clearly, I underestimated the power of a condiment. Because here's what's been happening: 1. When my mother asked about the pink highlights and … Continue reading