People don't join cults because they want to join cults. Nobody wakes up in the morning and says, "Hey, I'd love to join a cult today!" Another misconception is that people join cults because they're stupid or uneducated. THIS IS NOT TRUE. (In The Assembly, we had plenty of highly educated folks). So, please. Check your condescension. If people KNEW what they were getting into, NOBODY would join a cult.
The reason cults exist is because NOBODY believes they're in one!
Sure, having a good education (and especially exposure to lifestyles other than your own) might render you a little less susceptible to the glittery, sparkling promises of a cult. But pretty much, if you're a human being--you can be seduced.
And that's what cults are all about---seduction. Becoming enthralled.
People join cults because they fall in love with a beautiful dream. They see something they desperately want or need. They feel like they've found The Answer to life's problems.
If you're capable of falling in love, you're capable of joining a cult.
Only later--much later (preferably after they're married or otherwise "tied down") do they begin to see it was false advertising.
Growing up in a cult, I learned one big rule: outsiders only see what we want them to see. New visitors saw well-behaved children, wholesome teenagers, intact families. What they DIDN'T see was that from a very young age, I was coached on how to "reach out" to visitors.
In the aftermath of my book being published, I've received dozens of emails from people who remember meeting me as a child. Invariably they comment on how "cheerful" and "outgoing" I was. They remember me hugging everyone enthusiastically. They remember me singing at the top of my lungs during church meetings. These sincere people are shocked that behind closed doors I was suffering near-constant abuse. B-b-but! You were such a HAPPY LITTLE GIRL!
I can only shake my head. Oh, yes. They were seeing EXACTLY what The Assembly wanted them to see.
I was TRAINED to be that way. I was SPANKED if I didn't behave exactly the way my parents coached me. I had to behave like that because it was survival.
So, why do people join cults? Well, like a successful marketing campaign, cults know how to sell:
1. We Have What You've Been Looking For: Do you crave meaningful relationships? Are you tired of superficial pursuits? Do you long for abundance, happiness and wealth?
2. Sense of Urgency: TODAY is the day of salvation! What if you die tomorrow? Will you have ANY regrets???? [SIDEBAR: when I was "witnessing" to people, I would get super frustrated when they replied, "Well, if I die tomorrow then I'll be glad I lived a good life." I was like: Nooooooo! BE ANXIOUS! BE VERY AFRAID! Otherwise this whole formula doesn't WORRRK!"]
3. Sense of Purpose: Did you know God has a Great Plan for your life? Do you really want to miss out on that? Join our cause. God is REALLY MOVING in our generation. Together, we can change the world. [SIDEBAR: this whole phrase about "God IS MOVING in our generation!!" really annoys me. Newsflash, guys. God has moved in EVERY generation. God didn't suddenly start MOVING once evangelicals figured out how to build mega-churches. Or win political elections. When I was growing up we were all: yeah, Christianity existed and everything. But it didn't really START until like the 1500's when Martin Luther nailed a letter to a church door. I mean, THAT'S when God REALLY started moving!"]
4. Sense of Superiority: we are the TRUE believers. We are the PURE ones. We are reclaiming what's been lost. We have uncovered hidden truths. You won't find this anywhere else. You might be a nobody in this world, but in OUR group you'll be special. [SIDEBAR: I often call this "The Special-Ness Syndrome." The more SPECIAL a church thinks it is, the faster I run away.]
5. INCENTIVES!!! Look at all these beautiful women following Jesus! Look at all these godly, spiritual men! You could have TRUE intimacy. No more broken hearts. You will find a wife who respects and serves you. You will find a husband who loves and provides for you. You will find a community of like-minded people who will help you and you will never be alone again!! [SIDEBAR: in cults--as in everywhere else--sex sells.]