Because I'm Not Good Enough
As a follow-up to yesterday's post & subsequent discussion regarding the masks we wear, I submit a few reasons as to why I've hid behind fake identity masks [The Perfect Wife, The Best Mother, The Dutiful Daughter] at various times in my life. In the past 4 years, I've come a long way in casting aside these masks, but writing a list helps remind me why I never want to go back to that. I hope you'll add to the list.
I've Worn Masks Because...
1. I'm not good enough.
2. I'm afraid of rejection.
3. I like the fake representation [ie. ideal archetype] of myself better than the 'real me.'
4. I think other people like the ideal archetype better than the real me.
5. I'm living my life for the acceptance & approval of those I want to please ___________(fill in the blank with a person's name: mom, dad, husband, boss, friend).
6. If I speak the truth, I might offend someone.
7. I know I'm not perfect and I (wrongly) believe that my loved ones want perfection.
This list is by no means conclusive. Feel free to add your own reasons by leaving a comment--consider it your recommended daily dose of self-awareness! :D